Lamb is considered special in many parts of Africa, prepared only on certain holidays. With this recipe, we give you a culinary trip to Africa, have fun trying it out and enjoy!
Preparation time: 4-5 hours
Ingredients (6 persons)
- 3 kg lamb shanks
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 lemons
- 1 L white wine
- 2 kg potatoes
- 2 large onions
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g ripe tomatoes
- 50 g butter
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- Wash the lamb shanks and pat dry.
- Finely chop 3 cloves of garlic and squeeze the lemons.
- Mix lemon juice with 0.5 L white wine, a little salt and the garlic.
- Put the lamb shanks in a bowl and pour the marinade over them.
- Cover and let rest for about 3 hours so that the marinade can soak in.
- Preheat the oven to approx. 120 – 150 degrees.
- Remove the meat from the marinade and brown briefly on both sides in a pot with a little olive oil.
- Meanwhile, chop the tomatoes, finely chop the remaining garlic and cut the onions into rings.
- Put the lamb shanks with the tomatoes, onions, butter and white wine in a roasting pan, or a large ovenproof dish, and braise in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, peel and quarter the potatoes.
- Turn the meat over and add the potatoes and fresh parsley. Add a little water, salt and pepper as needed.
- Braise in the oven for another 20 to 30 minutes, until the potatoes are golden brown.
- Serve with a fresh salad.
Have fun trying it out and enjoy!